Wednesday, March 21, 2007

To shop or not to shop...

I've got a bit of a dilemma right now. I'm heading to the US tomorrow for two weeks. Week 1 will be for a couple of work-related meetings. Week 2 is to be there for my dad's surgery. I'll have a little free time in between, and plan to take the opportunity to do a little shopping stock up on things that are hard or impossible to find in Korea.

So here's the question: should I go ahead and buy a few maternity clothes? The down sides are obvious. If the pregnancy goes south, I'll end up having wasted money and brought home sad reminders. However, there are some major up sides to shopping in the US rather than here. Korean women are for the most part TINY. I'm about 5'7" and am not stick thin. So, buying clothes here is a real challenge. I'm sure that there are maternity clothes sold here that can accomodate my growing belly, but I'm not at all sure that there'll also be room for my J Lo arse, my rapidly expanding boobs, and my corn fed frame. Of course I don't know how much weight I'll gain with the pregnancy, so buying clothes now is also risky since I'm not sure exactly how big I'll be later. Any thoughts?

12 comments:

Marie-Baguette said...

My advice would be to get the Belly Bands, and maybe a couple of stuff from the Gap Maternity because they are just soooo comfy and you can wear them even not pregnant. For the rest I would note down everything you like with detailed instructions to your best friend or your Mum to buy and send them to you when you feel ready.

queen said...

Yeah I would say Old Navy: cheaper. It looks cheap, tho.

I faced the same dilemma going home for a visit (I live in Japan and home is the US). It was too early for me to want maternity clothes but I needed them just in case.

Good luck. Hope you find something that works for ya.

Thalia said...

MB is the expert here, but I think the answer seems to be to buy in your usual size. They've kind of figured out the sizing issue. The one challenge I've had is that the really trendy labels are not cut for women with hips. So Earl Jeans etc, not your best bet unless you are natually skinny when not pregnant.

Susan said...

Shop your little heart out, and enjoy every minute of it! : )

Hopeful Mother said...

I think you should shop - could be hard to find things later!

Sara said...

Thanks ladies! That's really helpful.

Sarah said...

definitely shop!! we can't always live our lives around the worst case scenario, although it makes sense to stay mindful of it. but don't let the fun parts pass you by because of the what-ifs.

i agree that the gap maternity stuff can totally work not pregnant too. in fact i know first hand: i have some pants that i didn't notice were maternity (they were a rerturn to a non-maternity gap store). they were my size (medium) and very stretchy and comfy (but not with the obvi preggo panel) so i bought them, and was a little ebmarrassed after i wore them a few times and finally noticed the label!

you'll just be glad to feel all comfy and properly fitted in ALL the areas. and i love MB's suggestion to get notes on what to have shipped later.

Esperanza said...

I would buy it, keeping the receipt. And if something goes wrong, send it home for returns. I am sure someone at home will take care of it for you.

But, I am praying nothing goes wrong. That you enjoy your trip, and you get to continue to enjoy this adventure.

Baby Blues said...

I heard good reviews on those Belly Bands. Go ahead and get a couple of maternity stuff. Enjoy your shopping!

JW said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! And definately shop! No excuse needed. Shop shop shop!

Ladybug Ann said...

Yep, like pp said, shop! But buy some long shirts, my earlier maternity shirts weren't long enough at the end. For the most part, I didn't expand too much anywhere but my belly but the water retention at the end made me go one size up. It is probably going to be hard to buy clothes that will do for the entire pregnancy but definitely don't leave the US without any mat clothes at all.

Marie-Baguette said...

you have not posted in a long long time... I hope you and the baby are doing well. I am thinking of you