Saturday, November 24, 2007

I can see my feet (and so can people on the moon)

Thanks so much for all of the good wishes, and sorry for the abrupt cessation of communication. After all of my whinging about having made no progress at my last checkup, to my great shock, I passed my mucus plug and started having contractions two days later. The morning of the third day, my water abruptly broke, so off to the hospital I went. The following morning, November 19th, Eggbert arrived.

The birth was difficult, but the ending was wonderful. I'll tell the birth story in detail soon. Meanwhile, I just wanted to announce her safe arrival, and give the vital stats.

Eggbert is a little girl. Born at 40 weeks, 6 days, she weighed in at only 2.88 kg (6 pounds 5 ounces). She is healthy and voracious. We love her passionately. I'm tearing up just writing this.

While she is utterly perfect, her mama is still a bit of a mess. My feet are so swollen that I swear they actually make a sloshing sound when I move, I had an episiotomy and a tear, so things down south are a bit fragile at the moment, and my pelvis is improving, but slowly. I can now walk without crutches, but it still hurts, so I'm trying to minimize my movements. None of this matters at all, though, because she's HERE!!!

21 comments:

Marie-Baguette said...

she is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations! I am sorry you had a difficult birth. Even though I had it easy, everything was painful for the first couple of weeks. Don't despair if your body takes time recovering. I am very very happy for you and Mystery Man. Keep us posted!

Thalia said...

she is absolutely adorable, sara, many many congratulations. I hope you are being waited on hand and foot as you recover.

JV said...

How incredibly cute she is! I hope you feel better very soon. My most heartfelt congratulations!

Rachel Inbar said...

Congratulations! She's such a beauty!!!

Feel better! My feet were always horrible after birth (so big that I couldn't even consider wearing shoes) - but it does go away, even pretty quickly - and it's a good excuse to have them up & have your little girl brought to you :-)

Congratulations again!!!

Mony said...

Oh!
She's perfect!
Congratulations!

Samantha said...

Congratulations! She is gorgeous!

Rose said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

She is preciously adorable!

I'm SOOOOO happy for you! I can't stop smiling...
Wishing you all the joy in the world.
Rose

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful girl, congratulations!! - Judi

Suzanne Robinson said...

ive been reading your blog for a while and I'd like to come out of anonymity to say "what a beautiful kid!!" They're not supposed to look so pretty right after birth but she's just perfectly beautiful.I found your posts on living in Korea amazing, they just transported me to another place. thanks for lost of posting!

Carey said...

Yeah!! She's beautiful!! Congrats... and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Mandy said...

You're right - she's perfect! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sara! She looks so peaceful and beautiful -- and what wonderful hair!

queen said...

Wow, that is one beautiful baby. I am happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sara. So happy for you. Eggbert, the little girl, looks wonderful. I hope you recover quick and as Thalia mentioned, you are waited on hand and foot?

Sarah said...

wow, she is GORGEOUS!!!!! huge huge congratulations to you all!!!!!!

Lut C. said...

How adorable! The hair is fabulous!!!

Linnea was born with a full head of hair too.

Esperanza said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations and I hope you heal quickly (that part doesn't sound like fun).

Dr. Grumbles said...

What a beautiful baby girl!

christina(apronstrings) said...

hey watson had her babies. details on my blog. ; )

Jamie said...

I am so happy for you! Our little ones are only 1 day apart!

I can't wait to hear more as you embark on motherhood and all the fun that will come with it.

AshPash said...

Oh Sara, Sara, Sara....she is scrumptious!! :)

Hope everything is healing nicely.

Many heartfelt congratulations to you.